Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Dancing off those Calories


So, Friday night, I did a little Science Experiement -- I wore my heart rate monitor to Wild West! Most of my church friends love to two-step (And turns out, alot of the guys are REALLY GREAT at it!) -- So we go dancing alot...

I turned on the heart rate monitor whenever we got there and turned it off when I looked down and saw I had lost connection, i.e., I moved the chest strap somehow and it lost connection with my skin -- it has a hard time reconnecting.


Here are my conclusions:

Max heart rate was 173 (I usually get max HR around 180 in my work out classes).
Avg heart rate was 118 (I usually get avg HR around 140-150 in my work out classes).

In 2 hours, I burned 635 calories (317 cal/hr). (In 1 hour of my book camp class, I burn 500-700 calories depending on leg vs. arm day and how hard I push myself.)

It looks like I danced about 8 songs during that time b/c there is about 8 peaks! (This is all just guessing) Somewhere in there were the "pop music breaks" My guess would be the 10-20 minute mark, and the 1hr- 1:10 min mark as my HR was medium for an extended period of time. So, two-step and polka seem to get my heart rate higher than "pop" music. Wish I would have noted when Copperhead Road came on!!

I would say that we danced a moderate amount that night over all, (the guy/girl ratio was off, lots of ppl to visit with, it was REALLY hot so I spent alot of time in front of a fan, etc) -- so -- maybe on a CRAZYYY night we could burn 400 calories per hour!?!

I sweat like crazy when dancing AND when working out -- but like Sara Strickland and I talked about -- when I work out I am not trying to look cute/decent/presentable! Also, I wear "wicking" (?) clothes that don't "FEEL" as sweaty and don't show my sweat rings -- Sorry - that's really gross!

Conclusion:
-- Calorie wise 2 hours of dancing is approximately equal to one hour of working out!
-- Plus, dancing is really fun! And dancing is a social activity.
-- THUS -- WE SHOULD ALL GO DANCING MORE OFTEN!!

Just interesting to see! haha!

Happy Tuesday, Amy


**UPDATE** Y'all didn’t check me -- the graph totally cuts off at 1:35 -- sooo We burned 635 calories in 95 minutes ===> which is 400 calories per hour!! DANG we are way better than we thought!!! Yahoo!! Who wants to do dancing right now?!


...just kidding...


(sorta!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hey Amy! I would like to let you know your blog has been chosen and featured for the "Tell Me About Yourself" award. If you'd like to participate, here's the link to the rules:

http://fabyoulousgals.blogspot.com/2011/10/blog-award.html

Thanks girl for your blog!!

Stay FabYOUlous,
Brynlea