Thursday, May 12, 2011

Derby Hat

My friend Dianna has a Kentucky Derby Party every year... complete with Mint Julips, Kentucky Pie and Croquet! Very fun!!
Here is my hat from last year:


I made it and LOVED it!! Found the hat at TJ Maxx for like $14, and got a Mum (that I just pinned on) and the ribbon at Hobby Lobby for like $5 total!

This year, Dianna requested Bigger and Better... So I tried... Maybe it was b/c I just met the Pioneer Woman, or maybe it was because I was feeling crafty, but here is a step-by-step to making my hat!

First: Raid your Mom's closet and find some hat choices:


Make a good hat chioce (and save the other's for next year!)


 Start brainstorming/searching the internet for ideas...


Go to Michael's and start collecting!!!

I spent about 20 minutes wondering the store until the NICEST lady came to help me!! Her name was Chantel.  At about the same time I saw her, another women also searching for Derby Hats, bumped into us.  The three of us worked together for about 45 minutes and made 2 really great Derby Hay Plans.... Chantel was so nice and helpful... she is the kind of worker that EVERY store needs!!  She even reminded me about the coupon in the flyer so, I got another percentage off too!!

Here is what I collected:

First took off the boring white ribbon,



Put on a purple Ribbon



Add some Purple Berries that Chantel and I found




I tried the feathers out the back side, but ended up deciding it looked like an "after-thought," so I returned them yesterday!!

 Tie the BIGGEST bow you can with all the ribbon left over!
Wired ribbon = a big help b/c it holds it's shape better!


 Add some flowers...these were firm/hard flowers but I thought they looked alot like Cake Icing flowers!

Two flowers back by the bow


I didn't like just one in the front, so I added THREE in the front for a BIG BANG!


One more for a "bald" spot on this side

and FINALLY a look from the top down!


And TAA-DAAH!! Ready for the derby:


I was really proud! :) Hope you like it too!!


And the final price:
Hat = Free, found at Mom's house
Glue gun = borrowed from a friend (Shout out LC!!)
Ribbon = $2 (on sale, half off)
Berries = $3 (on sale, half off)
Flowers = $3 (full price, but Chantel reminded me of the coupon!!)

TOTAL = $8

 (and I had one of the best looking hats there for WAY less expense than the others!)

3 comments:

Amber said...

So fun! Did you pick the winning horse, too?

Tarvers said...

I love it!

sowlee said...

fun! I love this one WAY better than last year's. and those flowers DO look like cake flowers. I'm hungry.