Wednesday, May 18, 2011

PSA: The Dentist

This is a Public Service Announcement for THE DENTIST!!

I had been going to a great dentist in Dallas, but was planning on switching dentists when it was time for BIG photo shoot!  And I hadn't made it to her in over a year plus it was time for the BIG x-rays.

One of my favorite friends, Tricia, is a Dentist.  So naturally I went to her office -- (email me if you need her name and number! She's great!)

The hygenist finished and called her over... she was like "OH my gosh Amy! I didn't want to see ... ugh... this is not good....  what do you do drink Coke all day?!"

"Nope!" I said proudly, "I drink Dr. Pepper!"

She was not smiling.  Evidently... soda (dark and light) coats your teeth with acid that lasts about thrity minutes.  Well, I have been rewarding my self with a DP every work day, IF I made it through lunch without killing a kid, which was most days. :)  And (proudly) I made that DP last all afternoon by taking sips between each 30 minute appointment.

(You do the math -- but basically I was coating my teeth with acid for HOURS every weekday plus whenever I treated myself to a DP on the weekends).

I had 2 big cavities that needed to be drilled. And about a million on "watch."

ugh.

I went back a few weeks ago and did several hundred dollars of "repair" -- and the whole time Tricia was drilling, she was also chanting "doctor. pepper. doctor. pepper. doctor. pepper...." because (A) she is a turd and (B) she was drilling into my thick head that my addiction to Dr. Pepper has caused all of this (pun intended).

You will be proud to know I gave up DP for one month. And now drink them VERY sparingly and NEVER let it LINGER on my desk as a temptation to drink it all afternoon!

Thank you Tricia. 
My teeth are better because of you.

And that is my PSA:

Drink your soda. 
Don't "make it last."
Just drink it up...
or Don't drink it at all.

4 comments:

LD said...

crack. me. up!
lizo

Amber said...

My first year at Tech, I drank lemonade every day from The Market. I thought I was being such a good girl not getting cokes that were oh-so-available in my freedom called college life and pre-paid dining. But no, I was really do the worst thing possible for my teeth. When I went to the dentist, the acid had "eaten" all the enamel off of my teeth causing lots of discomfort and dental work. He recommended rinsing with water any time you drink something acid-y! I feel your pain!

Tricia =) said...

This is the BEST blog post EVER! I was smiling so big and laughing so hard my cheeks were hurting. Plus I'm glad you're educating the public ;-) Glad we're friends!

Emmanuel Reagan said...

That is the funniest thing I have recently read... But what do I now do with the 2 dozen Diet Dr.Pepper I have with me now??? I keep sipping at Dr. Pepper from about 1:00 PM till 3:00 PM at work from Monday to Friday... May be I need to ask my dentist if drinking Dr. Pepper and then having a listerine mouthwash would sort of help :P