Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Great Cupcake Debate

On Friday, my boss brought some cupcakes to work and left them on the table (she was going to take them to a baby shower after work).

A co-worker said to me "Am I the only one who thinks that is tacky?!" - And I was like "What?" - the co-worker said "That [boss] is going to take HOMEMADE cupcakes to a party?" and that is when I flipped out...
I LOVE ANYTHING HOMEMADE!! And will almost ALWAYS choose a homemade item over a store-bought item!
But apparently, my co-worker thinks that bringing homemade items to a party or shower is tacky! I asked her why and she said b/c homemade cupcakes/cakes don't look as nice/professional! (We are talking Wal-Mart cupcakes/cake; not Mandy's cute "Nothing Bundt Cakes" or something like that)

I had no idea that ANY one in the world would prefer store-bought...I understand its faster and more convenient (and I admit to buying items when in a pinch!) but one of the best thing about homemade treats is that someone spent the time and effort to make them! I wish that I could make a t-chart on blogger to weigh the pros and cons...
What do you think?! (See Voting Ballot to the Right)


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, your coworker is cuh-razy! Most homemade baked goods are tastier than store-bought goods unless you go to a specialty bakery and spend some mad $$$.

Granted, I'll eat what I can get, but baked goods are just sweeter when I know someone took the time to make 'em.

There should be no debate about this. The end.

Ingram Gang said...

Why did I not know you were blogging? I'm mad. I've been missing out on Amy stories. I'll be back to catch up later.
My opinion...bakery. I do think Wal-Mart goods are tacky. I would either choose homemade or a bakery. I try to go with a bakery usually just because my homemade doesn't compare to Mandys. Plus, I usually don't have time to bake much.
My only apprehension with baking at home comes from teaching, there are just some homes I don't trust. Glad I know you are here!

Meg said...

I'm not a fan of store bought cupcakes at all! My students ALWAYS bring cupcakes for their birthday and they make me want to throw up. Most of them can't even finish them because they are loaded with sugar! YUK!

I prefer homemade. I want to go to Sprinkles!!! :)

Ally said...

Your co-worker is CRAZY! I am even getting a little mad just thinking about it, is that wierd. As someone who has an extreme passion for the art of baking (art?), homemade is always better!!! Now as far as cupcakes go, no one can beat Sprinkles cupcake bakery (www.sprinklescupcakes.com), trust me I have tried. But, it is by no means tacky to make them homemade.

Sam and Mandy said...

I am on the fence on this one. On one hand, I love homemade (and I like to do it). But you do have to be careful and decide if you "trust" it or not. I also really like the idea of knowing someone took a lot of time to make it for you.
On the other hand, I LOVE things that come from a bakery. Not the ones at the stores like Megan is talking about b/c I totally agree on that one, but a true bakery.
I am going to have to say that I can't vote. It just totally depends on who's making the homemade dessert, what the occassion is, and what I am in the mood for!
So I am NO help at all! :)

Magen said...

1. I think it means more when someone actually takes time to home-make something.

2. Sometimes I was a little nervous to eat homemade stuff my kindergarteners' parents brought to my class. You just never know!

3. I think it was nice of your boss to do the work, but I sort of think those cupcakes look like boobs. (Was anyone else thinking that?)

4. See you next weekend! Woohoo!

Jana said...

Store bought don't even taste that good...not the Wal-Mart kind any way. I'm all about some funfetti!!!

Ally said...

I'm ready for a new post of Amy's random and witty thoughts!!!